Collaborative Composition For Intercultural Improvisers with Pandits
Rajan and Sajan Misra, Francis Silkstone, Amelia Cuni & Michael Young

Initiated by Francis Silkstone, AHRC Fellow in the Creative and
Performing Arts, Music Department, Goldsmiths.

A Public Workshop, Sharing Our Initial Creative Processes  For Two
Works-In-Progress

Thursday 7th August 2008. 19.30 to 21.30
The Great Hall, Goldsmiths, University of London,
New Cross, London SE14 6NW

Admission free.

AVATARS: Human-Computer Interactions In The Realm Of Dhrupad  with
Amelia Cuni & Michael Young
Embodying sonic spectra through tuning systems .

Dhrupad singing has the longest history of all current forms of
Indian art-music. Compared to khyal, it is slow,
dignified, often introverted. For more than 10 years, the Italian
composer Amelia Cuni, studied dhrupad in India.
The rigorous training of dhrupad voice-culture develops a resonant,
flexible voice as a holistic outcome of a
deeply relaxed, highly sensitized vibrating human body. For more than
20 years Cuni has extended her amazing
voice in new directions through her pursuit of experimental
intercultural music, including extreme micro-
tonal tunings (www.ameliacuni.de). We will share results of three
days of experiments exploring interactions
between her vocal improvisation and Max/MSP systems operated by
Michael Young and Francis Silkstone.
Max/MSP enables us to zoom in upon and then magnify or transform any
part of the sound spectrum. We aim
to incorporate artificial-intelligence systems into this work, and
hope to share some preliminary experiments
in this area.

SRINGAR: Love Songs... with Pandits Rajan & Sajan Misra

Pandits Rajan and Sajan Misra are two of India’s greatest middle-
generation khyal singers. Passionate and
constantly evolving, khyal is the central strand of contemporary
Indian art-music. Improvisation is its essence.
We will share our experiments exploring how these virtuoso Indian
singers can interact with an equally
virtuosic improvising new-music ensemble: Corrado Canonici double
bass; Isabelle Carré flutes; Emily White
trombone; Karin Dornbusch clarinets; Sascha Armbruster saxophones;
Yvon Bonenfent extended voice; Amy
Moore soprano, and four Baroque string players from the OAE, led by
Kati Debretzini. This is the culmination
of five days of workshops at Goldsmiths. Rajan Misra and Francis
Silkstone started co-composing four works,
in India, in May. Like most khyal repertoire, all four are love-
songs, including two works created in response
to Purcell’s Dido’s Lament, and Schubert’s Du bist die Ruh. We are
exploring ways in which Indian and
European new-music can interact with each other, in a dialogue with
contemporary re-interpretations of some
of the greatest love songs of both traditions.

Dr Michael Young
Deputy Head of Department

Music Department | Goldsmiths, University of London | New Cross,
London | SE14 6NW
+44 (0)2079197659 | fax +4(0)2079197644