All our SM 'twins' are 8-core beasties (2 x 4-cores) per side.  They all
sit on a 1GbE network (Nortel 5510/5530 etc).

To answer you question - yes there will be contention if one or more
jobs want to do i/o to the net at the same time.  This happens whatever
the speed of the NIC.  If you have a 100Mb/s NIC, then in general,
everything will take ~10 times as long than for a 1Gb/s NIC for a single
process.  If you have two processes, the transaction(s) will take >10
times as long because of context switching between processes for the
resource (the NIC).

If your jobs are running several tens of hours, then a 100 second data
squirt at the end is insignificant compared to the run time - and making
it 200 seconds is still insignificant.  However for high-i/o jobs where
the i/o is 'continuous' then it could double your run time.

It may be that your data sink is the limiting factor - if it is a 1GbE
system, then you could get 10 x 100Mb/s data streams off it (assuming
that it can get the data on/of the disk that fast).

The best strategy is to force the jobs to do their I/O to the local disk
and and then squirt it off in one lump at the end of the job.  The input
data has to be pre-staged locally too.  Then the normal smearing out of
start and finish of jobs due to slightly different run times spreads the
high load to the servers as well.

	Martin.
--
Martin Bly