Dear List,

Should a computational model's scale measured in number of agents indeed
lead to a qualitative change of the model's outcome, a number of results
elaborated by means of social simulation would have to be reconsidered.
This would particularly apply to models where insight into real world
social systems is inferred from models consisting of only a small agent
population. However, the results obtained from my models were produced
by a relatively smrall agent population and could nevertheless be
cross-validated. So far I am not concerned. But I do think that the
inherently empirical question "Does size matter?" cannot be solved
without experiments and some of the contributors to this discussion have
already made some relevant statements.

But besides an intra-model approach to this issue a problem-oriented or,
if you wish, evidence-driven approach could help to find some answers.
The question "Does size matter?" should be therefore not only directed
towards the computational application, but also to the social phenomenon
that is being scrutinised. If there is evidence in a real social
phenomenon that size, measured in number of actors as well as their
inter-relations and -actions, is a pivotal feature of the system, then a
construct valid model should represent this characteristic. Of course
the same applies to real world cases where scalability plays no or no
significant rôle.

Armando

--
Dr Armando Geller			Phone:	+44 (0)161 247 6073

Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you
should read the Manchester Metropolitan University's email
disclaimer: http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer.