Dear Nigel,

There is one domain, that I am aware of,  where large-scale models will
definitely yield different results: ecology, or population dynamics, in
general. That is because of genetic drift (and to some extent, density
dependent effects). Populations tend to oscillate a lot and in small
systems, oscillations lead to extinction much easier. In one branch of my
recent work I am, with co-authors, blending ideas from ecological models
with ideas from innovation and economics research (e.g., the dynamics of
niche markets). Experiences there lead me to think that the effect of small
population size may be an important factor in these areas as well.

Another domain where system size may matter is information diffusion
(a.k.a., percolation, contagion, etc.) models, or more generally, dynamics
on (social) networks. That is because some interaction topologies have the
small world property, while others don't. (In some topologies the average
peer-to-peer distance scales with log N, where N is the number of agents,
while in others it may scale with sqrt(N), or with N.) For small systems,
the difference between a small world and a "large" one may be negligible,
while in larger systems the "opening gap" between these may lead to
important differences in the aggregate system behavior.

My 2 cents. I hope this helps!

Best regards,

-- Laszlo
--
dr. Gulyás László          | Laszlo Gulyas, PhD
kutatási igazgató          | dir. of research