Some time ago I provided this summary for the list of what I've had to
do as a records manager in 3 separate organisations over the past 5
years (I've just added a few more), showing how we lurch from high level
policy making to chucking cartons around in a basement):

Do records audits
Draft an information security policy
Draft an information security classification scheme
Draft a business continuity policy
Draft an e-mail management policy
Draft a corporate information risk register
Draft an e-records management strategy
Draft a paper records management policy
Draft a scanning evaluation strategy
Draft a workbook for DISC BIP 008 compliance
Draft local and corporate standards for implementing EDRMS
Evaluate various EDRMS
Draft guidance notes on relevant legislation
Provide guidance on migration
Provide guidance on digitisation
Provide guidance on microfilming
Provide costing for equipment for records stores
Physically clear out a paper records store
Draft guidelines on standards for records stores
Provide guidance on budgeting for future expansion of paper records,
e-records, e-mail etc
Provide guidance on health and safety
Provide guidance on H R issues and DPA
Assist in FOI/DPA enquiries
Assist in preparing a publication scheme
Carry out induction training
Run workshops on group folder management
Run workshops on mailbox management
Carry out training on compliance and r/m
Manage the management of group folders (ownership, access,
rationalisation)
Prepare publicity material
Provide guidance for Finance on projected costs for everything under the
sun
Provide guidance for Facilities on projected costs for everything under
the sun
Create a corporate file plan
Create a corporate records disposal schedule
Draft business unit specific disposal schedules
Undertake 3 externally funded projects on current r/m procedures and
policies
Advise staff on an ad hoc basis about everything else you can think of.

I think the above shows how we get landed with whatever is
urgent/fashionable at the time - not that I'm complaining as we
desperately need to justify/market what we do, not just to keep our
grading but to keep our jobs, period.  Perhaps I should add this to the
list as the biggest time-consumer of all....

Justifying my existence.

Clare

Clare Cowling
Records Manager