Volunteer Opportunities with the BA in the South

Hi,

I thought I would introduce myself, I'm the new regional officer for the British Association for the Advancement of Science in the South of England and at the moment I'm looking for volunteers to join our branches across the region. If you are interested in communicating science in your local area in your spare time, then you might like to get involved! It's a great way to get experience, or to utilise skills you may already have to the benefit of your local community.

With the BA Festival of Science taking place at the University of Surrey in Guildford in 2009, now is a great time to get involved!

We have active branches all over the UK, if you are not in the South but would like to volunteer in your region then please visit www.the-ba.net/regions for further information.

BA Volunteer Position – Task Description

Role: Committee members, South of England Branches
Team:  Regional Team
Staff Contact:  Regional Officer

Aims of each branch
 - To deliver science events to adults (including teenagers) using various creative formats (not just talks), such as ‘hands on’ activities designed for adults, debates, visits etc.

 - Supporting events taking place outside of your branch, forming relationships with other local organisations.

What this post has to offer
By becoming involved with a BA branch, you will have the opportunity to pursue your interests in science communication, and gain practical skills and experience along the way.  Branch committees work as a team, where anyone can propose and develop creative and innovative public event ideas.  There is significant scope to shape your individual role, so you can choose to apply the skills you have or try something new like advertising or facilitating debates.

Where this post will be based:
We have branches in the following areas:
London
Exeter
Plymouth
Bedfordshire
Bath and Bristol
Cornwall
Wessex
Brighton
We are looking to set up some new branches in the South - if there is no branch in your area but you still want to get involved then let me know.

Level of commitment:
Meetings of 2 hours every 2 months, plus a flexible and varying amount in between at your convenience. This varies from branch-to-branch. The role is ongoing, with committee members expected to volunteer with the Branch for a minimum of 1 year.  You can however give reasonable notice to end your volunteering if you are no longer able to fulfil the role.

Recruitment process:
Contact the Regional Officer ([log in to unmask]) to discuss the role further.

Main times of volunteering:
Meetings are usually held in the evenings – for example 6.30pm to 8.30pm.

Main tasks/responsibilities:
Support the Branch in event planning and delivery.
 - Attend Branch meetings and the AGM to contribute input
 - Support the committee in event planning and delivery by undertaking specific tasks according to skills and interest, which may include:

Advertising and publicity
Sourcing speakers and venues
Fundraising and sponsorship
Web development
Coordinating a specific event within the Branch programme

Desired skills:
Prior experience and knowledge of science communication and/or event management is desirable but not essential.

Training opportunities:
•       Full induction
•       Further training according to tasks and need

Capital of Culture becomes city of science: the BA Festival of Science is coming to Liverpool from 6-11 September. With around 200 events and exhibitions taking place at the University of Liverpool and across the city, there’s something for everyone to enjoy from unique street theatre and family activities to the latest research news. Visit www.the-ba.net/festivalofscience to search the programme online, book tickets and find out more…

Dan Richards
Regional Officer, South of England
the BA

c/o Intech
Telegraph Way
Morn Hill

Winchester
Hampshire,
SO21 1HX

E: [log in to unmask]

Website: www.the-ba.net

Registered charity 212479 and SCO39236

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System on
behalf of the BA (British Association for the Advancement of Science)