Stumbling on this just now, my first response was negative, but as his example
is a few lines of Thersites which most would stumble over, I begin to feel
O'Connor has a case for his offering...

Max in Melbourne

"William Shakespeare's Troilus and Cressida: A Modern English Translation

Imagine that you are playing Shakespeare's Thersites, and another character has
just invited you to "Come in and vituperate" (Act 2, scene 3 of Troilus and
Cressida). Which of these two speeches would you rather deliver? ...

You! if I had space in my mind's purse for a fake gold coin, you'd never have
slipped my memory. No matter. I’ll tack on a curse for you: Yourself upon
yourself!. . . May the itch in your blood be your guiding star through life!
Then if the old woman who lays you out thinks you make a pretty corpse, I’ll be
sure she’s only done lepers. Amen. [translation]

OR:
If I could `a rememb'red a gilt counterfeit, thou wouldst not have slipped out
of my contemplation: but it is no matter; thy self upon thy self! . . .Let thy
blood be thy direction till thy death! then if she that lays thee out says thou
art a fair corse, I'll be sworn and sworn upon't she never shrouded any but
lazars. Amen. [original]

Mark O'Connor writes:

"My aim is translation, not adaptation. I translate prose with prose, blank
verse with blank verse, a couplet with a couplet (though not necessarily the
same rhyming words), and an outdated pun or joke with a comparable modern one.
The aim is to keep open the ambiguities and multiple possibilities of the
original text, while removing the accidental obscurities caused by linguistic
change."

australianpoet.com is the offical web site of the Australian poet Mark O'Connor
- © Mark O'Connor 2008
contact Mark O'Connor on email [log in to unmask]; tel +61 2 6247 3341

This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au