Thank you for this wonderful information, Pierre, not the least the
political implications you suggest.
I can say nothing about spoken Arabic because I only know a very few words
in it.  However, I've studied a very little (would love to study more) of
the written classical Arabic.  It is, of course, fundamentally simple to
learn-----and profoundly beautiful.  It immediately recalled my studying
Gregg (invented by a Scot) shorthand writing when I trained to be an
executive secretary.  A similar "stroke-matched-to-sound" system; so very
practical (modern Korean is the same, though the shapes are primarily square
or round).
A novice in reading the poetry, I nevertheless find Rumi maximally
fantastic!  His humility, grand suprising figures, humour----all and more
give so much joy and soul-discovery.  Can you tell us some of your thoughts
about his work or his life?

P'raps this for another Sunday.

[an aside:  Morroccan food, marvelous!!!]

Best,

Judy...... but today for Partick,,,,,,,jooooooooodles