Well I was school athletics champion -so there admittedly not recently !!yes
over half a century ago
Patrick 'victor ludorum'1955?

-----Original Message-----
From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Alison Croggon
Sent: 19 August 2008 10:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Sport v art

Hi Christopher

I see what you're saying, and I've no desire to say sport is something
that it isn't. Nor am I claiming that it offers the same rewards as
art does: sport and art are different (although I'd claim a deep
relationship, at interesting levels). All the same, I think it's all
too easy to dismiss what it does offer, to see them as simply mob
gratification, where I think there is something more interesting going
on: a class judgment, if you like, rather than a real evaluation of
what drives athletes and attracts its audiences. That production of
feeling you describe can indeed occur in sport, and it not necessarily
a crude or base feeling, nor cynically manufactured, it can be complex
and real.

Cheers

Alison

--