Paul

PPE has to be specific to the person for whom it is provided and if this means a small addition to items such as boots well so be it.  This is just a 'reasonable adjustment'.  It is also, far less expensive than absence and loss of good will.  I have never worked for a company that refused to pay for such things and believe me, I've worked for some lulus!

Jay
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Darcy, Paul
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:47 AM
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Advice re orthotic inserts in safety boots

I’d appreciate advice here on behalf of a colleague.

An employee claims he needs special orthotic insoles for his safety boots to prevent plantar fasciitis. He wears similar orthotics in his everyday shoes but states he has to have different ones for his work boots as they are designed for prolonged standing. He claims the company should pay for the ones for his safety boots as they will be solely for work purposes. The company is happy to arrange whatever safety boots are required to take his own orthotics but not pay for the orthotics themselves.

There is an impasse between him and the company regarding payment for these and he has subsequently gone off with guess what – plantar fascitis.

I do not know if PPE regs place a requirement for the provision of these orthotics in a similar vein to prescription safety glasses.  Any thoughts or similar experience would be welcome.

Thanks

Paul

Paul D’Arcy

Clinical Nurse Leader

From 1 October 2007 St Mary's NHS Trust and Hammersmith NHS Trust merged to become part of Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. Working in partnership with Imperial College the new organisation is the UK's first Academic Health Science Centre, offering patients faster access to cutting edge research and techniques. As a result, our email addresses (@st-mary.nhs.uk, @hhnt.nhs.uk, @hhnt.org and @hhnt.org.uk) have changed. The new generic email address for Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust is [log in to unmask] Please amend your records accordingly.

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust notice: The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it is addressed and may also be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it in any form whatsoever. If you have received this e-mail in error please telephone the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust on +44 (0)20 3311 3311 and ask for the person who sent you the email. Please also delete the message from your computer. [end]

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net