Hi Margaret

Thankyou for your response, it certainly gives more avenues for  thought.

The levels as you say are mainly for drainage.

Winchester came into ownership of lead mines in Wensleydale through his
marriage to Mary Leppington daughter of the last of the Scropes (of Bolton
Castle), at the time the Cobscar Vein was in full production and at the time was
said to have produced a profit of £200,000 (this was more likely the value of
lead produced from which working costs should be subtracted). No doubt this
success led him to invest in other mines. He also had the Hurst mines in
Swaledale. Jim Rieuworts has been helping me with some of the Derbyshire  surnames
which appear in Wensleydale in connection with Cobscar Vein.

The only other reference which I have to any other mines is this  one.

22  Charles 11. 1670 June 16. Declaration of trust between Thomas Wandall,
citizen  and merchant Taylor of London and Charles, Lord St John of Basing, son
and heir  of the Marquis of Winchester, recites a deed of 5th May 1670 whereby
 Humphrey Wharton of Curbythure, Co Westmorland Esq. Leased for 1000 years to
 John Grobham of How Langer, Co Nottinghamshire Esq. Thomas Wandall and
Claver  citizen and grocer of London several Lead mines (named and described) in
the  parishes of Stanhope and Wolsingham Co Durham: Thomas Wandell declares that
his  name is used in the said lease in trust only for Charles Lord St John.
There is  another document in the British library relating to his mining
ventures, but I  haven't had chance to see that yet, I was hoping someone else
might  have it.
It seems  surprising that regardless of £1000 being spent at the end of the
17th cent on  one mining venture, the only smoking gun is one passing sentence
in one  letter.
Interestingly at the same  time the Marquis's house in london was destroyed
by fire (along with Lord  Wharton's and others in the same street), no doubt
many documents were destroyed  then.

Regards
Ian Spensley