Dear List,

Tom Cotterell, Curator, Ore and Secondary Mineralogy, Dept. of Geology, National Museum and Gallery, Cathays Park, Cardiff has kindly carried out the above analysis by energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDS) on carbon coated polished samples..

The Falhers Ore (local name) (dull grey ore) in Combe Martin was discovered in a 12th century context during excavations at Mine Tenement, Combe Martin. This ore was known to have come from early medieval surface workings. We sought a comparative analysis of this ore compared with the ore from greater depth, and in this instance we provided a sample of silver/lead galena from the 10 fathom level of Harris's Mine, an ore which is much brighter and larger grained.

Tom has very kindly provided me with the full analysis of both which makes quite interesting reading. Sample of both ores are now deposited with the National Museum of Wales.

Should members of the list be at all interested in copies of the analysis, I am happy to forward copies by email off list.

Kindest regards,

Trevor

http://www.cmsmrps.org.uk - a community archaeology initiative.