From: "John Hine" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:33 PM
Subject: [MINING-HISTORY] Fw: Pennant Mine, Tremeirchion, St.Asaph,
Flintshire

FW: Pennant Mine, Tremeirchion, St.Asaph, FlintshireCan anyone help with
this request?
    I will forward on any responses.
Thanks.

    Yours in a Hole,
Mole.

Hi,

I'm struggling to find out about the history of this mine and am hoping that
someone at the Welsh Mines Society may have more information.

My interest is through family history as my great grandfather was the
manager there in the 1890's and 1900's. My grandfather later bought the
house, Pennant View, and land so my mother grew up there, using the old mine
workings as a playground.

I'm confused about some of the history because I've found the following
snippets -

They mined Lead, Silver and Barytes here from the early 18th century until
1920.
The mine closed in 1891 and was re-opened in 1913 for barium minerals, but
was abandoned in 1920.
Documentary evidence refer to workings from at least the early 18th century.
Returns from the 19th century suggest that the mine was highly productive in
lead, silver and barytes, employing a considerable workforce.

However, my great-grandfather according to documents was in the April 1891
census a manager of lead mine and was living at Pennant View. In the April
1901 census he described himslef as a Mine Agent, lead mine and was still
living at Pennant View.  A series of letters between Parrs Bank, Rhyl branch
and the chairman of St.Asaph Zinc, Lead & Baryta Company Limited in December
1913 include references to their manager Mr.Brown

The St.Asaph Zinc, Lead & Baryta Company Limited was incorporated in 1890 as
the St.Asaph Iron, Lead & Baryta Company Limited but changed it's name in
1908. It seemed to be pushing the merits of Pennant mine very hard in 1913
but what I've seen didn't actually say it was re-opening the mine.

I've found reference to the name Pennant Mine Company with the dates
1859-1876 and 1877-1885

I was wondering if the fact that Thomas Brown described himself as a Mine
Agent in the 1901 census was significant in that he wasn't managing a
working mine, but he was still living at Pennant. Did the company own other
mines nearby? My mother & uncles seem to think he worked the Pennant mine
all the time he was there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

John Woods