From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
JJ GREENWOOD
Sent: 21 August 2008 11:02
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: mining-nautical terminology

the same unit was used for timber with 10 fathoms to the ton; it was only
used for cord wood

Trevor Dunkerley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  In mining terms a
fathom is a unit of volume equal to 6 cubic feet used in
measuring bodies of ore.

The German for fathom is 'faden' - a linear measurement which can now also
mean rope, twine, string.