From: André-Yves BOURGES <[log in to unmask]>

> Hi Christopher,

> I am interested in your "fairly decent OCR copy" of Lindy Grant's study  on

Geoffrey of Lčves;

on its way, at the speed of light.

>bishop Geoffrey is known to be the prelate who asked Geoffrey "le Gros" to
write the vita of Bernard of Tiron [BHL  1251].

Grant notes that

"Like Ivo, Geoffrey had cordial relations with the west French leaders of the
new eremetical reformed monasticism, Robert of Arbrissel, founder of
Fontevrault, and Bernard, founder of Tiron. These relations were established
long before Geoffrey became bishop, for as canon, Geoffrey was cathedral
prepositor [sic] for property at Sarzay on which the abbey of Tiron was built
. The cordiality paid off. As we have seen, Robert and Bernard between them
insisted on the propriety of Geoffrey's election, and reconciled Theobald of
Blois to it, and Geoffrey became the dedicatee of the life of St Bernard of
Tiron."

this snippet is perhaps indicative of how her work should be taken with some
lumps of salt --it's not at all clear what (if anything)-- the fact that
Godfrey position as (one of 5 or 6) Provost over that extreme northwest part
of the diocese might have to do (if anything) with the foundation of Tiron.

his family lands at Leves were on that side of Chartres (though within the
Provostship of Chartres, i believe), and they surely had holdings up in that
corner of the diocese (his sister married the Lord of Muzy, just over the Epte
from the dio./county of Chartres), so his being Provost of that area would be
a natural thing.

more dispositive, surely, is whatever Bernard's vita might have to say about
his role in it; and, of course, what can be gleaned from his role in many
early charters for the abbey, conveniently to be found in its published
cartulary

Cartulaire de l'abbaye de la Sainte-Trinité de Tiron...publié et annoté par
M. Lucien Merlet,...
Chartres: Impr. de E. Garnier, 1882-1883
2 vol.

and available on Gallica

http://gallica.bnf.fr/Catalogue/noticesInd/FRBNF34131645.htm

i definitely would not describe Grant as a careless scholar, but she does have
a tendency to "shoot from the hip" ocassionally, and draw overly-broad
conclusions from her sources, sometimes using them naively.

btw, i also have a (mostly) legible copy of the pages devoted to Godfrey's
period as Legate in

Wilhelm Janssen, Die päpstlichen Legaten in Frankreich, vom Schisma Anaklets
II. bis zum Tode Coelestins III. (1130-1198). Köln, 1961. (Kölner
historische Abhandlungen, Bd. 6)

also available to anyone desiring it.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]