From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Rosemary Hayes-Milligan and Andrew Milligan
Sent: Thu 7.8.2008 12:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] ?St Roch/parrain

Yes please do change to '?Roch' keeping the '?' as we can't be sure because
I did not look properly.

On 'parrain', I asked if it had an earlier meaning than godfather - and
yours is the only response so far.  My Bishop Hill (I seem to have been
living with him so long that he has become 'mine') was described in a
herald's description of his funeral as 'parrain' of Henry VII.  I have no
evidence he was the king's godfather and a large dictionary that I consulted
in the BL department of MSS said that it could also mean 'beloved'.  All my
online googling has come up with godparent, sponsor, etc but  I was hoping
that some of those who work in Medieval French might have some other ideas.
it could, of course be 'parram' - which might suggest racier thoughts

thank you
Rosemary