Ah - yes! I agree, of course. I apologize for an insufficiently worded
characterization of Louis' legacy with respect to the Jewish community in
France.

My professional and research interest has for some time been about why Louis
was understood as a saint in his own time (that is, his sanctity, not his
"historical" person).  Sadly, his actions with respect to Jews were actually
not heavily highlighted in the discourse of his sanctity, and where it was
(say, for instance, in the vita of William of Chartres, or Joinville's
discussion of the debate between Cluniacs and Jews) it was a subject of
praise, not vitriol.  That itself is an important point for historical
inquiry.

Anyhow, my sincere apologies for those on the list who took offense at my
potted description of Louis. I have a soft spot of Louis, since he has given
me the subjects of my early career as a historian. But I would be a bad
historian if I failed to recognize the truth in Jeffrey Woolf's post.

Sincerely,
Cecilia

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Dr. Jeffrey R. Woolf <[log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]