It always evokes for me the Demeter (mother)-Persephone (daughter) &
small boy configuration, such as
http://z.about.com/d/ancienthistory/1/7/U/6/2/DemeterTriptolemusPersephoneFrieze.jpg

though I don't for a minute think that was in the mind of those who
produced the image.

I suspect that St. Paul would be totally baffled by most accepted church
images.

DW

Ms B M Cook wrote:

> I too would like to get back to St Anne ....
>
> I have no problem with images of St Anne and the BVM as a (young)
> adult woman, with or without the Christ Child.
>
> I have no problem with the image of St Anne teaching the BVM to read -
> indeed that may have something to say about the transmission of female
> literacy in upper class households ...
>
> What does bother / intrigue / puzzle me is the St Anne Trinitaire in
> its most extreme form: as the large Mother with the BVM and the Christ
> Child seemingly equal in size (small) sitting in her lap.
>
> There is also a kind of sub-category where the BVM is a child but a
> kind of Big Sister to the Christ Child, definitely a pre-pubescent girl.
>
> This seems distinctly un-Christian to me.
>
> Is there any pagan image / legend which this could be a roughly
> baptized version of ?
>
> Mother Earth and a male and female offspring of some sort ? Classical
> ? Celtic ? Indo-European ?????
>
> Any ideas ?
>

> I have quite a collection of these images from an exhibition catalogue
> from Nantes, Brittany in 1966.
>
> Brenda.
> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]