There IS a tradition in Brittany, at least, of a mother goddess Ana,
worshipped
at springs just as Saint Anne is worshipped at springs all over Brittany and
Christendom today.
But, and the best person to ask about this is Colleen Selig at Yale, the image
does not need to be pre-Christian or un-Christian. It is a way to really,
really, really de-sexualize Mary, just in case you weren't convinced by the
virgin birth, ect., and place all of the sexuality on Anne's matronly
shoulders. But Colleen Selig knows much, much more than I do...

all best,
Sara McDougall

Quoting Ms B M Cook <[log in to unmask]>:

> I too would like to get back to St Anne ....
>
> I have no problem with images of St Anne and the BVM as a (young)
> adult woman, with or without the Christ Child.
>
> I have no problem with the image of St Anne teaching the BVM to read
> - indeed that may have something to say about the transmission of
> female literacy in upper class households ...
>
> What does bother / intrigue / puzzle me is the St Anne Trinitaire in
> its most extreme form: as the large Mother with the BVM and the
> Christ Child seemingly equal in size (small) sitting in her lap.
>
> There is also a kind of sub-category where the BVM is a child but a
> kind of Big Sister to the Christ Child, definitely a pre-pubescent
> girl.
>
> This seems distinctly un-Christian to me.
>
> Is there any pagan image / legend which this could be a roughly
> baptized version of ?
>
> Mother Earth and a male and female offspring of some sort ? Classical
> ? Celtic ? Indo-European ?????
>
> Any ideas ?
>

> I have quite a collection of these images from an exhibition
> catalogue from Nantes, Brittany in 1966.
>
> Brenda.
> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]