From: "Marjorie Greene" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:51 AM
Subject: [M-R] Rosemary's photos of Corsica

I suppose the Subject: says it all. Lovely photos, Rosemary! Shutterfly
limits my album info to 1000 words so I've copied and pasted from a private
e-mail from R all the good stuff that wouldn't fit. One final word (from a
former prof of French): Shutterfly turns accents into hash... I know better
:-))
MG
www.medrelart.shutterfly.com

1) the photos of Mariana are

a) the church of Sta Maria Assunta, the former cathedral of Mariana, known
as La Canonica, standing 50 metres north of site of 4th cent paleochristian
cathedral, remains of which have been found during excavations under former
12th cent episcopal palace.  We found it hard to make out basilica and
baptistry, perhaps because Christian mosaic described in our 1993 edition of
the Blue Guide must have been removed for safe keeping.  La Canonica was
consecrated 1119 by Bishop of Pisa. It is still in use and there was to be a
wedding the day we visited.

b) church of San Parteo (one of Corsica's martyrs) built 11th-12th century,
excavations around have revealed pagan, paleochristian and medieval
cemeteries.  present church built in continuation of earlier church built in
honour of and perhaps housing relics of San Parteo

2) Aleria has some of best classical remains in France dating back to 6th
cent BC

3) Corte is the ancient capital of Corsica.  Two rivers (and now two roads)
lead from the Roman sites of Aleria and Mariana meeting there.  churches
photographed

a) eglise de l'Annonciation built in 1450 but much altered in 17th cent
including facade

b) chapel of Sainte Croix - no idea if they had a relic and we seem to have
failed to get either date of construction or view of outside

Marjorie Greene
http://medrelart.shutterfly.com

Criminal Lawyers - Click here.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/Ioyw6iiggBbXH63plCVx4HwWXGlpiMlWQIFM3Xf9ErNuRGJcptwH2T/