Sara McDougall wrote:

> I've been sitting on my hands throughout this delightfully
> interesting thread, but can resist no longer. In my opinion the most
> entertaining Saint Anne story of all was that she had three husbands
> (in succession) who with her gave birth to three Marys (in
> succession) who all gave birth to seven holy grandchildren, Jesus and
> six apostles. This tradition is usually dated to min-ninth century,
> and derived from some efforts to explain the passages referring to
> Jesus' brethren in the Bible and make sure that Saint Anne, Mary's
> mother, would give birth to Mary Salome and Mary Cleophas would would
> then give birth to Jesus' "brethren" (here cousins pace Jerome). This
> tradition, and the gospel that endorsed it, the protoevangelium of
> Matthew, were dinged at the Council of Trent, alas, and Anne was
> reduced to one husband and one daughter. Even Martin Luther allowed
> that Mary had a mother and we might as well call her Anne, but that
> was as far as he'd go.

There is a series of late medieval wall paintings on the south chancel wall
of the chapel of Haddon Hall, Derbyshire depicting the "Holy Kinship". The
seven panels are:

1. Anne, Salome & Mary Salome
2. Anne, Cleophas & Mary Cleophas
3. Anne, Joachim & the Virgin
4. Anne with her parents (?)
5. Virgin & Child with Joseph
6. Mary Cleophas, Alpheus & sons [James the Less, Joseph the Just, Simon,
Jude]
7. Mary Salome, Zebedee & sons [James the Great, John the Evangelist]

See: M. Naydenova, 'Public and Private: The Late Medieval Wall Paintings of
Haddon Hall Chapel, Derbyshire', Antiquaries Journal, Vol. 86 (2006) pp.
179-205.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]