--Original Message Text---
From: Dr. Jeffrey R. Woolf
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:06:00 +0300

medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Over the years, I've received my list of the day's saints with interest and it's been
very enlightening. Occasionally, I've thought about adding a comment, but resisted. In the case of Louis IX, I feel I must.

Louis IX is a good example of how one person's saint, is another's anti-saint. Thus, I have no quarrels with his portrayal as a good, Christian king of
extraordinary piety. However, I strongly object to the sentence:  Was intolerant in many respects also in-tune with his age (Jews, heretics, with
particular ire against blasphemers). In particular, I'm not sure what the phrase 'in many respects' means.

Louis IX, as extensively discussed by Robert Chazan and William Chester Jordan, pursued a virulent policy of anti-Judaism, which broke the back of the
venerable Jewish Community of France, both religiously and economically. He, through his mother, sponsored the first public Inquisitorial Trial of the
Talmud in 1240, which resulted in the burning of 24 cartloads of irreplaceable Talmudic manuscripts, two years later. (This action was, as Jeremy
Cohen noted, a blatant violation of the Augustinian doctrine of Jewish toleration.) The ongoing ban against Talmud study, effectively destroyed a most
vibrant center of Jewish culture and scholarship. (Consider where Nicholas de Lyra would have been had there been no Rashi.)

In addition, strove mightily to economically break the Jewish community of his realm by his attack on usury (at a time when credit was greatly needed
by his own subjects). He drove them into penury, and set in motion the policies that led to the total expulsion of the Jews from France in 1306, by his
grandson, Phillip IV 'the Fair.' In Jewish History, Louis IX is an out and out villain (though on a lesser scale than, say Vincent Ferrer). With all due respect
to his admirers, as someone who has studied this period since he was an undergrad, I think a more balanced description would have been in order.

Dr.  Jeffrey R. Woolf
Senior Lecturer
Talmud Department
Bar-Ilan University