Dear Colleagues,

We have pleasure in announcing for your kind attention THE LATCHKEY, a new e-journal to be devoted to The New Woman.  This will be published at www.oscholars.com, part of our continuing commitment to explore culture and society at the fin de siecle.  Proposed date of poublication Septmber/October 2008.

THE LATCHKEY will be devoted to the concept of the New Woman, covering the lives and writings of New Women authors and figures, the representation of the New Woman in literature, culture, art, and society, proto-feminism and early feminist journalism, and current innovative scholarship on the New Woman. While the term 'New Woman' originated in England, the cultural phenomenon extended beyond Britain and we wish to explore its presence (or reasons for its absence) and influence in other countries and across disciplines.  We plan to build up THE LATCHKEY gradually, and will only call for papers (which will be double blind peer reviewed) once we have created our reader base.

Our full Manifesto is posted as a File on our own listerv at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oscholarship/, which is an announcement and discussion forum for all our publications.  Our first task is to enlarge our mailing list, for which a good start has been made.  If you would like to be on our alerts, please contact us at [log in to unmask], with LATCHING ON in the subject line and your full name and if appropriate institutional affiliation in the body.  We also welcome offers from any one who would like to take an active role.

Please forgive any duplication of this message: we are trying to reach as wide an audience as possible.

Yours sincerely,

Jessica Cox (University of Lampeter, Wales); Petra Dierkes-Thrun (California State University, Northridge, USA); Sophie Geoffroy (Université de La Réunion, France); Kathleen Gledhill (University of Hull, England); Lisa Hager (Georgia Institute of Technology, USA); Christine Huguet (Université de Lille III, France); Alison Laurie (Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand)

Editorial group

D C Rose

General editor, oscholars group of journals.
--
D.C. Rose M.A.(Oxon), Dip.Arts Admin (NUI-Dublin)
Editor, THE OSCHOLARS