Oh dear! This just misses Roy's point completely - there is some outdated thinking amongst some staff in some library services and I regret to say that they care more about preserving their comfortable niche than about taking the service forward. There is also a lot of good, positive and forward thinking work going on and Roy is right to point out that we don't need indicators to prove it - we just need to do it! Yes, we do have to face up to challenges and we do have to show how we link into a wider range of indicators but we need to be confident in our service and look forward to the future. Like Frances Hendrix I think Roy's final paragraph is spot on and we will do well to take it to heart.
Barry George
-----Original Message-----
From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of David McMenemy
Sent: 28 August 2008 21:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Leadership and the role of public libraries

Several points:

1.       The thread may have lost its way, as you put it, but people are perfectly entitled to their opinions on the state of the service.  Indeed their opinions may actually be more reflective of reality than yours, with respect, since they are on the front line and you are visiting when the libraries concerned are showing themselves in their best light.   People raising such concerns is actually a sign that they care.

2.       It is a perfectly valid viewpoint that many public library services have dumbed down.  You may not agree with that viewpoint, but many others do (including myself).

I very much respect the fact that you seek to input into email list discussions, it is excellent that someone in your position wishes to do so.  However if you wish to merely dismiss legitimate points because they are uncomfortable politically and/or professionally you are doing those who make the points a major disservice.  Ultimately we all care about public libraries and their future, and dismissing people  “hung up on perceived better ages past” as on a “fire route to extinction” is intellectually lazy.  Their stated opinions deserve as much respect as your own, not flippant denigration.  It is only with open, high quality, and honest debate that we will achieve what we all seek, an excellent public library service fit for our citizens.

Indeed, this will be the goal of people within the library profession long after this current government has gone, and the next and the next……….

David McMenemy

Department of Computer and Information Sciences

University of Strathclyde

Glasgow, Scotland

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC015263.