-----Original Message-----
From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Roy Clare
Sent: 06 August 2008 17:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Library Elf

Dear Colleagues,
I have found this a most interesting thread. May I offer the view, born of my experience running a large national museum, that the deciding factor should be quality of service to the consumer? In busy lives we all forget to do things, so the quality of service yardstick suggests that prior notification will win more public hearts and minds than any strategy that tries to extract fines. Really good service will lead to many more users, and - probably - stable revenue from fines, as Hugh suspects, and I agree.
Roy
Roy Clare
CEO MLA

Sent using BlackBerry