  From: Robert Clayton
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 2:35 PM
  Subject: Re: fines:secrets and lies or shadow boxing?

  Dear All

  The CIPFA guidelines for reporting loans of stock, which all library services complete, clearly INCLUDE renewals.  I think their guidance is both clear and fair:

  "Loans to final borrowers only are to be included.  For issues to institutions, playgroups etc. count only the initial issues made by the library staff or computer system.
  Include:
  i)  Loans of uncatalogued material, e.g. if a book is issued before a record is created...
  ii) All renewals made in response to an approach from a reader.
  iii) Inter library loans.  Direct loans to own end users only."

  It is not helpful to start saying something or other is wrong before checking what the position actually is.  If you want to make a point please CHECK IT FIRST.  Calculations of loans are certainly not "secrets" or "lies" and such suggestions bring the profession in to disrepute.

  If you don't like a definition, fair enough, debate it, but don't accuse the profession of trying to mislead without doing some basic checking.

  Doing so is VERY unhelpful.

  Thanks,

  Robert Clayton
  Museum Library & Archive Manager
  Rutland County Council
  Tel: 01572 758435
  Fax: 01572 724906
  Email: [log in to unmask]
  Web: www.rutland.gov.uk/libraries
  Post: Oakham Library, Catmos Street, Oakham, Rutland, LE15 6HW

  2008 - The National Year of Reading
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark."  Victor Hugo

  >>> Frances Hendrix <[log in to unmask]> 15/08/2008 14:04 >>>
  But if one borrower has an item for a long period (and I don't see a problem
  with that if there isn't a waiting list), how is that indicative of
  effective performance of stock?. You have of course satisfied one borrower
  very much, but it is hardly an indication  of the performance of the stock
  is it?

  Surely issue figures relate to one book to one borrower on one occasion, not
  multiple occasions if it is renewed by the same person.

  I do think this all needs to be bottomed out, but I can see the risks if
  everyone now decides to come clean on why charge fines, and why massage!
  issue figures. We need libraries to be 'judged' by a set of  standards NOT
  related to the simple issue of books. remember the Laser work done by PwC on
  Output measures, much more sophisticated and worth doing.

  Now we are bandying figures and comments about without the help of hard
  evidence (and I don't mean the now suspect issue figures).

  f, well make a guess!
  Frances Hendrix
  Martin House Farm, Hilltop Lane, Whittle le Woods, Chorley, Lancs PR6 7QR,
  UK
  tel: 01257 274 833.  fax: 01257 266 488
  email: [log in to unmask]