I too worked in Hampstead (then part of Camden) in the late 1970's, at the start of my career - all the 'unknowns' raised by Edward and his depiction the 1950's was true there then too, and from the debate, is proably still true there (and everywhere else) today.

Isn't it sad that, in nearly 60 years, we haven't sorted this out - the country has had 1947 Education Act and the birth of the Health Service, but librariess still can't agree a definitive approach to fines.

Will we still be having this debate in another 50 years?

John Usher
ICT Development Manager
Islington Library & Cultural Services
Islington Council
Central Library
2 Fieldway Crescent
LONDON N5 1PF

Tel: 020 7527 6920
Mobile: 07825 098 223
Fax: 020 7527 6926
Alternative contact: Michelle Gannon - 020 7527 6907

www.islington.gov.uk

How to get to Central Library:  http://www.islington.gov.uk/Education/Libraries/Local/Central.asp