Thanks to everyone who responded to my original query - I've tried to condense the responses suitably below:

Here in Newcastle we are investigating the use of radio headsets for staff to communicate with each other over the various floors of our new library.  For example, if a call came into our contact centre, the operator may wish to contact a member of staff on the fiction lending floor to see if a book is on the shelf at that time, thereby giving the customer an instant response rather than having to ring back later.  As we are going to operate with Enquiry pods rather than traditional desks, there probably won't be landline phones on these, hence the need for alternative ways of communication.

Does anybody currently use or plan to use radio headsets in their libraries, and would they mind sharing their experience of any systems?

Essex are using wireless headsets for the staff in their Answers Direct service so that they can leave their work-station and go out into the library to use a reference source whilst still on the phone to the customer. This has proved useful not only in the fact that more enquiries can be dealt with at the first response but on a more practical level they are finding that the pile of reference books that used to build up every day in the Answers office is no longer a problem (people used to bring an item out with them to make the call back to the customer but postpone taking it back to the shelves).

Initially some of the staff felt rather conspicuous walking round the library whilst carrying on a conversation and with a bright blue LED flashing in their ear but they soon got used to it.

Library enquiry staff have cordless telephones to carry round with them between info pods - they would have liked to use the wireless headsets for them too but funds would not stretch that far. These phones have a belt clip so they're not too encumbered by them.

Ellen Forsyth, State Library of New South Wales very kindly brought Vocera badges to my attention through a report she herself has written. Vocera badges are the size of a large USB drive, usually worn around the neck like a security tag, that enable voice communication with other staff. They run on a wireless network, work with voice commands and are often linked to telephone systems. They are extensively used in US hospitals and in Australia are used in the Emergency Department of Blacktown Hospital in Sydney. Some public libraries in the United States use Vocera to assist with staff communication as well as for reference.

Ellen concludes: The use of Vocera badges and walkie talkies facilitates communication between staff in larger libraries. It allows more flexibility in rostering as more staff can be called upon to help the public very quickly without needing to be rostered to the desk just in case it becomes busy. It reduces the time staff have to spend locating each other in larger buildings, and these devices can provide security support very quickly. These are all important improvements for staff. The only Vocera implementation in libraries is in the US - although a couple of Australian libraries are now trying for it.  It works on a wireless network and over floors so if you have an effective wireless network it will work.

The link to the full report is http://www.valaconf.org.au/vala2008/papers2008/148_Forsyth_Final.pdf <https://webmail.newcastle.gov.uk/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.valaconf.org.au/vala2008/papers2008/148_Forsyth_Final.pdf>

Thanks also to David Tanner from North Yorkshire for his helpful suggestions.

It appears that this is still very much a new development in the public sector, but research in retail where systems like this have been in use for some time would seem to be the next obvious step.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Scrogham
Senior Library & Information Officer

Newcastle Libraries, Information & Lifelong Learning Service
Lemington Middle School       Tel     +44 0191 277 4108
West Denton Road                  Fax    +44 0191 277 4137
Newcastle upon Tyne              email  [log in to unmask]
NE15 7LQ                                Web   www.newcastle.gov.uk <http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/>

the system manager.
All incoming and outgoing e-mails are monitored for the presence of
profanity and racist remarks, pornographic, sexually explicit or obscene material, and unsolicited content or spam.
www.mimesweeper.com
City of Newcastle website:-  http://www.newcastle.gov.uk
Newcastle Schools website:- http://www.newcastle-schools.org.uk
Visit NewcastleGateshead:- http://www.newcastlegateshead.com