'Issue figures are like sundials - they tell only the sunny hours', said E
A Savage, Sage of Edinburgh and other places South of the Border.

'Cooking the issues' has long been a topic of unpublished professional
discourse. Never did it myself, but once 'bumped up' the issues by
repeated reminders to unaware readers that they could get two extra
(Browne) readers' tickets for non-fiction only in addition to the standard
two for any use.

I shall be grateful if those at the library sharp end would report what
their fines charges are. Such information would help us estimate whether
there has been in the last two decades a real increase over, say, 1968,
given inflation and average wage levels. Once we used to arrive at such
comparative figures by calculating how long someone on an average wage had
to work to earn enough to buy one Mars Bar. (My fee as 'editorial
consultant' is 10 Mars Bars a day).

All this is just one of the 'known unknowns' about charges which led to
the suggestion on this list that research on fines is needed, which has
excited no support or, indeed, any comment.

Edward Dudley
Editorial Consultant