Frances sent the Laser document to me off list & the vast majority of it's recommendations are collected by Leeds in addition to counting beans, indeed several of them are collected by CIPFA. The problem with many of the recommendations is that the qualitative data is often expensive to collect & few library authorities have the budgets/staff for the survey activites involved. The appendices showing how some authorities have attempted to collect this data are mainly using very small samples but do show the value of collecting this data.

Lionel Aldridge
Performance Manager
Leeds Library and Information Services
0113 395 2350

National Year of Reading: I'm curently reading the late George MacDonald Fraser's last work "The Reavers". This is very much in the style of his "The Pyrates" & again proves that he was what he aimed to be - simply a good story teller.

"Frances Hendrix" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Frances Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>

19/08/2008 09:38

<[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
cc
Subject
Re: You cannot be serious?

Thanks Lionel

What a helpful response, BUT the whole subject and process seems to be one of little practical and sensible use, and is still basically bean counting and not of the value added by public libraries.

Why, as a group, do Librarians not fight for what they think would be a preferable, qualitative and more meaningful way of judging the work that is done?

I refer again to the PwC (Laser) Libraries Impact report
Frances Hendrix
Martin House Farm, Hilltop Lane, Whittle le Woods, Chorley, Lancs PR6 7QR, UK
tel: 01257 274 833.  fax: 01257 266 488
email: