  -----Original Message-----
  From: Library and Information Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Chris Armstrong
  Sent: 31 July 2008 16:39
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: CILIP Council Briefing for July

  Following the discussion on one list about the length of these briefings,
we have taken the decision to post a full Briefing on 'Council Matters' -
the CILIP Council Blog at
http://communities.cilip.org.uk/blogs/council/default.aspx, and to provide a
brief summary to the lists.

  What follows is a summary of our July meeting:

  Council discussed:

    a.. a report on the provision of e-mail addresses to CILIP Groups and
Branches and asked for more work to be done to identify alternative
approaches.
    b.. and approved recommendations assuring the future of the
Accreditation and Chartership Boards and the CILIP Assessment Panel (CAP),
as well as agreeing a revised CPD scheme
    c.. a draft International Policy Statement to be taken forward to the
Policy Forum
    d.. and agreed the consultation exercise on Branch and Group funding
    e.. Patrick Conway's Professional Standards of Service in public
libraries report, and agreed a number of ways to take this work forward
    f.. received a report on the CILIP survey on Police, Surveillance and
Libraries conducted during June
    g.. membership renewals and the 2007 accounts
    h.. and adopted a revised Reserves Policy - The revised Policy does NOT
affect English Branches, Groups and Celtic Nations as it retains the
principle of allowing them to retain and manage their reserves in order to
'give flexibility and encourage initiative'.
  and finally

    a.. risk management at CILIP - a discussion which leads to a CILIP
Council workshop on the subject later in the year.

  I hope you find this approach and format useful. Please let me know via
the list (I'm sure you will!) of any improvements which might prove useful.

  Chris

  Chris Armstrong
  National Councillor (CILIP)
  e. [log in to unmask]
  Information Automation Limited
  e. [log in to unmask]

  Registered address: Penbryn, Bronant, Aberystwyth SY23 4TJ

  Registered in England Number: 2110002