Dear Andy,
I shuddered before  entering  into this debate (!)  but by chance I came upon a slide about these  literacies on flickr today (available under Creative Commons too).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nirak/1383955080/

Best wishes

Peter

Peter Godwin
Academic Liaison Librarian
University of Bedfordshire
Park Square
Luton
LU1 3JU
01582 743248

Visit my new blog at
Information Literacy meets Library 2.0 http://infolitlib20.blogspot.com/

>>> Andy Powell <[log in to unmask]> 14/08/2008 12:00 >>>
I blogged recently about the terms 'digital literacy', 'information
literacy' and 'media literacy', noting that the recent Byron Report used
only the latter.

http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/2008/08/digital-literac.htm

I'm not sure if this is a well debated issue here - I guess it is?  If
so, I apologise for raising it.  Nonetheless, I'd be interested in
people's thoughts and, in particular, whether there is a well accepted
understanding of the relationships between and meanings of our different
kinds of 'literacies'.

As a more concrete question... "an understanding of how to use filtering
software on a home PC" clearly falls under Ofcom's use of 'media
literacy' and my intended use of 'digital literacy' but it isn't clear
to me whether it also falls under the generally accepted meaning of
'information literacy'?

Andy
--
Head of Development, Eduserv Foundation