-----Original Message-----
From: Information literacy and information skills teaching discussion
list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andy Powell
Sent: 14 August 2008 12:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Media literacy vs. ...

I blogged recently about the terms 'digital literacy', 'information
literacy' and 'media literacy', noting that the recent Byron Report used
only the latter.

http://efoundations.typepad.com/efoundations/2008/08/digital-literac.htm

I'm not sure if this is a well debated issue here - I guess it is?  If
so, I apologise for raising it.  Nonetheless, I'd be interested in
people's thoughts and, in particular, whether there is a well accepted
understanding of the relationships between and meanings of our different
kinds of 'literacies'.

As a more concrete question... "an understanding of how to use filtering
software on a home PC" clearly falls under Ofcom's use of 'media
literacy' and my intended use of 'digital literacy' but it isn't clear
to me whether it also falls under the generally accepted meaning of
'information literacy'?

Andy
--
Head of Development, Eduserv Foundation