My personal thought on this one:

Q: What is the primary factor for ranking researchers?
A: Citations.
Surely the aim, therefor, of the researcher is to market her work as
widely as possible, to maximise the potential for citation.
Given that we are now in the Information Age, where The Internet is the
primary source of answers (backed up by reading what has been found, on
paper), then the sensible solution is to place enough of the research
results on the Internet such that they can be found and assessed, and
followed up.
Where, in the Internet, this material is placed is almost moot: the
Internet has no location per sae - Search Engines index everything,
everywhere.

In other words: Academics would want to deposit ALL of their material in
the same place, and leave the de-duplciation problem to the likes of
Google (Scholar)

--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.