Dear all,

I'm writing to ask about other repositories who operate a mediated
metadata policy.

Do you go to the level of detail of including the references from
journal articles in your metadata records?

If so, do you re-format those references into Harvard style?

Is this policy proving to be useful/successful?

I ask because we're doing mediated metadata, and the biggest expenditure
of time for our cataloguer is formatting these references for the
metadata record. I'm wondering if there is a way to automate this
process, extracting the references from an MS Word or pdf file, to turn
them into a properly formatted Harvard bibliography. I'm also wondering
whether we're the only ones going to this level of detail or not, and
what other repository managers think about this topic.

Please do reply to me and I'll summarise responses for the list.

Many thanks,

Jen

Jenny Delasalle

E-Repositories Manager