What¹s quite surprising about the Einsatzgruppen is their lack of
anti-Semitism.  According to Christopher Browning¹s research in Ordinary
Men, the members of Reserve Police Battalion B came from Hamburg, where
there was a small and very integrated Jewish population. The men had no
prior sense of anti-Semitism, per se, since they didn¹t really have ³Jews²
in their community, and the ones they did have were quite assimilated.  That
is, the propagandistic descriptions of the ³JEW² had no real meaning or
affect in this area of Germany.  As such, in letters home to family, these
men would write about the ³hard work² they were doing, without giving any
details, though they would describe it as ³necessary.²

In Browning¹s research, which is quite different from Goldhagen¹s, although
these individuals were extremely uncomfortable about shooting civilians
simply because they were Jews, this action was made acceptable and
³necessary² when combined propaganda and ³bad science.²  That is, as long as
the killers believed the Jews were inferior, a danger to the master race,
and as long as they could employ some significantly high level of cognitive
dissonance, these men could sleep at night.  Anti-Semites, these men were
not; but if you combine an ability for cognitive dissonance with bad
science, people can commit just about anything.

TL