Re: Horror Question
...Or living out their lives in Argentina
----- Original Message -----
From: Toni-Lynn Frederick
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: Horror Question

It's not a contest.

Still, if it were...it's hard to compare the two countries when it comes to the events of WWII, plus you will recall that it was the Italians themselves who executed Mussolini; Hitler took care of his own death. Obviously there's no way of knowing how things would have turned out if he hadn't, but based on Germany's historical relations with its own leaders, it is probable that Hitler would have been put on trial by the Americans.

Moreover, when you speak of "Germans"...there needs to be some kind of distinction, I think, between not only generations but between East and West as well.
Though the lines have been erased, so to speak, the presence of the largest neo-Nazi group in Leipzig seems to imply that attitudes are not clear cut across today's Germany.

Either way, there remain a plethora of corporations that have yet to acknowledge and/or apologize for their role in the war, especially when it comes to using slave labour, even of their own civilians.  What's most astonishing, when there are apologies and acknowledgements on the public stage, it is that it's the "wrong" generation apologizing for the sins of past generations.

Collective guilt is an empty sentiment when the guilty themselves are keeping silent.

TL