From: Film-Philosophy Salon [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Toni-Lynn Frederick
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: new semester, new question, new thread

I had an interesting experience at a recent screening of "Journey to the
Centre of the Earth" in 3D.
Short on plot, and filled with 3D "spectacle," the film seemed to
generate an viewing environment where audience members seemed
comfortable enough to speak more frequently, and at a volume far louder
than they normally might speak at a cinema.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find someone speaking out that
often and that loudly at, say, "The English Patient" or "Schindler's
List."

There's a greater level of interactivity, as annoying as it is, for
action films than drama, and even to some degree with horror films.
Is it a way of mitigating felt anxieties?
Still, when you add the 3D element, it's a free-for-all.
I saw Friday the 13th 3 in 3D, and that was a gong show!

TL

  sure . . . absolutely greed . . . but does that make 3D flicks - or,
for that matter, rocky horror picture show - less ideologically suspect
than english patient? . . . and, for whatever it may be worth, i've
watched american studio films in non-western countries where the
audience talked constantly

**

*
*