bill harris wrote:
>  I actually wrote the paragraph cited, not Hans.

Sorry. That attribution was made by Thunderbird not by me.
> The issue is whether Japanese audiences saw one of their own films as =
> having been back-dropped or understood within a particular context. Are =
> Twenty-Four Eyes, The Burmese Harp, and The Human Condition just =
> adventure stories? Does anyone care nowadays about what films mean in =
> their country of origin, or is it just all about me?

The problem with Gojira is that the connection between the atom bomb and
the monster is so
tenuous that on the surface it might seem unlikely that an audience was
likely to take the
movie seriously as a response to the bomb. One possible factor that may
suggest that it wasn't
so taken is the way the monster seems to have fairly quickly been
adopted as a pop cultural
figure held in a great deal of affection. Would that have happened if
the audience really
associated the monster with the real horror of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
At first glance, there
is cause to be skeptical.

Hadn't thought of that argument initially but what I was interested in
speculating about is
whether the film might have had a different an emotional resonance for a
post-war Japanese audience
than the American version had on its audience. The 9/11 example can be
taken as a speculative
argument by analogy suggesting by example that the emotions aroused by
traumatic events
can somewhat surprisingly find an expressive vehicle in a work that
might seem too trivial
(or kitschy in the case of the song) to bare that emotional weight. If
this is true, it very well
might be true in other situations, giving some probably very weak
support to the notion that
for the original post-war Japanese audience the response might have been
associated with the
bomb. To judge whether this association actually did or did not exist
would need historical
evidence I don't have on hand.

The question of the interpretation of films that are made for, or at
least released into, an
international marketplace is an interesting one that played a role in my
thinking about the
nature of genre.

> Yet lest I appear to suggest that all Americans are self-centered, =
> permit me a note of congratulations to the writer for having remembered =
> the sad events of 9/11/73. I have no idea of how that song and those =
> firefighters tie in to feelings for the three-thousand plus Chileans =
> murdered by the CIA-putch; but it's the thought that counts. After all, =
> as Iraq might suggest, human sympathy for others over here is in short =
> supply.

Glad that I don't have to teach informal logic anymore. Used to hate
having to sort out this
type of non-sequitor.

*
*