Dear Michael and other readers,

It is the job of a scientist and academic to cast his or her genuine
curiosity on anything and everything.
On that note, I'd like to point out that there is quite a lot of research
especially on NLP as well as EMDR.

Both models emerged without any academic-style research so, yes, they
haven't followed "protocol".

On the other hand, as academics tackle the same subjects, there is so far
quite some overlap.

EMDR - has been shown to be effective (as effective or more than other
exposure therapies), at least for particular subject groups. There is
controversy over the eye-movement component; the current research suggests
that they make exposure to traumatic memories tolerable so that therapy can
continue. The reason is unknown though there are a few theories out there
and we also know it's not a distraction effect.

NLP - various research items support ideas that are presented in NLP. E.g.
rapport (mirror neurons, phi brainwaves etc), embodiment of experience and
so on.

My research is with regards to the eye-movement model of NLP. One of the
unsubstantiated parts of NLP.
It is quite clear from past research that eye-movements are correlated to
mental processes, in some, unknown so far, way. If the mapping that NLP
suggests has any "truth" in it, it is to be found.

I can provide references for anyone interested on any of the above. Also, I
made a presentation at the First International NLP Research Conference at
the University of Surrey, UK entitled " A CRITICAL REVIEW OF PAST RESEARCH
INTO THE NEURO-LINGUISTIC PROGRAMMING EYE-ACCESSING CUES MODEL". Abstract
attached below and slides with full references are available for interested
parties.

Georgios Diamantopoulos
Doctoral Researcher
University of Birmingham, UK