I certainly agree that there are times when you would want to *include*
stopwords in your search/indexing/analysis, but I can think of one
use-case for omitting them. When we compiled the indices for IAph2007,
we originally planned to exclude "common words" (and have them in a
secondary index for those interested... after all in a digital
publication generating an index is not a human task, so there's no
reason not to do something that you're doing anyway). In the end we ran
out of time before we implemented this secondary index, and so never got
around to drawing up a list of such common words. See for example:
<http://insaph.kcl.ac.uk/iaph2007/inscriptions/indices/word/word-grcK.html>
where the entry for καί (kai) is pretty ridiculous, or even better
<http://insaph.kcl.ac.uk/iaph2007/inscriptions/indices/word/word-grcO.html>
where three-quarters of the document is taken up by the lemma ὁ (ho),
whose inflected forms appear on almost every line of almost every
inscription. You might argue no harm done, but when we produce a printed
index of these texts, we'll certainly want to omit stopwords.

(I vote +1 to creating a list of such words in the DC wiki. On what
grounds would such words be selected? By frequency? On grammatical
grounds? What have existing projects done? Could someone approach the
Dartmouth Dante team and ask for their list? What *useful* format would
such a list be in? (Text, XML, SQL table, Python list...)

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities