I'm currently involved in the selection of standard fields for a metadata
project and we have some fields that we are calling Dublin Core fields
(Subject and Relation fields), but we are including free text or
uncontrolled terms. I notice that the DC Subject and Relation fields are
"intended to be used with a non-literal value." I'm not sure what this
means. Is there anyone that can explain in simple terms? I've looked at the
DCMI Abstract Model and I'm still not sure what they mean by "non-literal"
value. Also, can you say you are using Qualified Dublin Core for some fields
and Simple Dublin Core for other fields in an application profile?