During my time here in Sweden I wrote some business profiles for a
newspaper to earn my keep. Some of them were environmental startups,
often quite small and fledgling. When I looked into it, there were a
number of very bright, creative, and enthusiastic people finding
solutions to things on a small scale, but which had the potential to go
much further. This small-scale engineering seems to miss the
government's radar. Not deemed worthy enough for investment (unlike the
oil industry). Although the Swedish Government does seem to be picking
up some of these types of company, unlike the UK.
For instance, ClimateWell
(http://www.climatewell.com/index.php?pageId=2), now growing quite a
lot, make a solar powered heating and cooling system, using basically a
salt battery for energy storage. When you scale such systems up, the
reduction on electricity demands in regions such as the Med, USA,middle
east and so forth is massive.

Engineering that provides local or small scale solutions, to our ways of
life, housing, offices, transport etc, is where the savings will come
from for GHG reduction, not geo-engineering. The return on investment
for these projects in terms of tCO2e seems much higher.

yet whilst such companies exist in england, such as the excellent wave
power research in Scotland, the products are exported or lack investment
to make them marketable.

Jonathan

Get Hotmail on your Mobile! Try it Now!