I must admit that reading the Guardian article my first thought was
"Leaping lizards Mr Science!!!" - anyone who knows a bit about IT knows
that delete is not the same as erase. Equally there have been companies
around for years getting data off of dead hard drives - in principle I
assume that you can, even if the electronics have failed, actually
extract the physical disc and put it into another enclosure.

However, there is I think a more interesting point here which is also
raised by Mulholland's letter. That is that the kind of thing we are
talking about here is intangible culture. I first started thinking about
this while writing a chapter on the Web for John Schofield's forthcoming
"Defining Moments" book (plug plug). As a case for archaeological study
the web itself is entirely intangible. Yes there are physical computers
and the communications technology that connects them, but the web
consists of web pages and server software.

This seems to me to be in a similar ball park to the work on acoustic
archaeology; the physical conditions; structures and for that matter the
earths atmosphere; create necessary conditions, but the actual acoustic
is an intangible product of vibrating atoms.

EH, judging from  recent Conservation Bulletin's have been working on
the intangible, but my feeling is that its still somewhat under
theorised. For example, both UNESCO and ICOMOS have conventions and
standards on the intangible, but these seem to relate only to things
like oral tradition and skills, not the intangible that surrounds
material things.

My own feeling is that in our endeavours to get to grips with
materiality over the past few years we have failed to get to address, as
yet, its corroloaries, such as the intangible, ephemerality and absence.

end of rant

P G-B