Hello,
My crystals in fact grew out of 20% peg4K and 20% isopropanol at 20 degrees
and so were already effectively cryoprotected in the drop. Opening up the
well at room temperature led to the crystals whirling around in the drop and
made it hard to pick up a single crystal in the loop. The effect is not as
bad at 4 degrees however and this has been other people's experience as
well. By increasing the viscosity by adding peg to 30% instead of using
higher concentrations of isopropanol as the cryoprotectant and moving the
tray to 4 degrees, the solvent movement was slowed dramatically and I could
work quickly through sequential transfers in 5% peg increments into my final
cryoprotectant. Of course you need to check that there isn't a deleterious
effect of moving your crystals to 4 degrees if they were not grown there.
Hope this helps,
Charu