Hi all

One should be aware of some stats about twinning (and in general):

1) If you have perfect hemihedral twinning and no correlated
rotational NCS then random R factors are around 40 instead of
Luzzati's 58.
2) If you have perfecthemihedral twinning and you are not modelling
twin then random R factor is around 50 (again instead of 58). It may
confuse things after molecular replacement.
3) In twinning case reflections are related with each other. refmac
groups them together so that Rfree is unbiased by twinning. However
after non-twin refinement if you start twin refinement then Rfree in
the first few cycles can be small. If you use consistenlty refmac
with twin refinement then Rfree should be fine

Intuitive reason for the first two phenomena is that if the crystal
is twinned then the distrbution of the data becomes narrower and
properties like Rfactor that are dependent on the spread of the
distribution become smaller. (There is a mathematical formulation
that gives the exact numbers also). Presence of pseudo translation
(broadens the distribution) and rotation (data points are not
independent) complicates things a bit further.
The reason for the third phenomenon should e clear.

Unfortunately statistics like Rfactor are not robust to violations of
such assumptions. You can get very interesting Rfactors under
different assumptions.

For me the best indicator is the electron density (do you see new
features and can you remove wrong bits) and chemical sensibility of
the electron density you see.

Garib