Heterodox Economics Newsletter

www.heterodoxnews.com

Issue 67: August  28, 2008

From the Editor

I often get comments saying that the term ‘heterodox economics’ is very unclear; and I have also gotten comments saying that heterodox economists should really stop trying to be so heterodox and should become more mainstream. The curious thing about those statements is that in 1991 Charles Barone wrote a very interesting article (click here) about the teaching of heterodox economics within the undergraduate major in economics at Dickinson College—and his definition of heterodox economics was very clear and pretty much the same as it is today. And no one made the comment at the time that Barone and his heterodox colleagues should be being more mainstream-like and hence should not be doing this. Perhaps the statements is really an attempt to deflect heterodox economists from the fact that heterodox economics is a well-defined term and that it is emerging as a well-established alternative to mainstream economics.

On a different topic, in the FYI section there is an entry on the Milton Friedman Institute. The controversy that has arisen over its proposed establishment at the University of Chicago poses a number of hard questions to heterodox economists—one being if in opposing the establishment of the Institute is a heterodox economist suppressing free inquiry and acting anti-pluralistic. Answers to this question and others are not so obvious once the social-intellectual context vis-à-vis the academy, academic diversity, and the economics profession are taken into account. I do urge heterodox economists to become aware of the issues being raise, debate them with other heterodox (and mainstream) economists, and if so moved become involved in the controversy in the manner that you think is best.

Finally, a few short notes. First, I received the following noted from the Japan Society of Political Economy concerning its 56th Annual Conference:

The JSPE -- the Japan Society of Political Economy -- previously submitted the Call for Papers for our 56th Annual Conference, 2008, held at Kyushu University, Japan. However, we showed a wrong e-mail address for the application on our JSPE website in error. There is probability that some applications did not reach us. So, we would like to ask the applicants who sent the proposal but not received any contact from us to send their applications again at the following correct e-mail address: [log in to unmask]

We are very sorry for this inconvenience, but we look forward to seeing you at our 56th Annual Conference in beautiful Kyushu Island, Japan. Thank you very much for you in advance.

Prof. Shinjiro HAGIWARA
Chairman of the JSPE Committee for International Communication and Exchange

Second, registration for the ASSA opens on September 4th. Register early!

Last, the job market season is upon us, so if you are advertising for positions please send your adverts to me so that I can put them in the Newsletter.

Fred Lee

In this issue:

Call for Papers

- The International Journal of Pluralism and Economics Education
- Third History of Recent Economics Conference (HISRECO 2009)
- The Association for Institutional Thought’s (AFIT)
- "Macroeconomic Policies on Shaky Foundations – Whither Mainstream Economics?"
- 4th South Asia Conference on Trade and Development 2008
- URPE

Conferences, Seminars and Lectures

- AFEE Program
- Grupo de Estudios de Política Económica (GEPEC)
- A Social Research Conference at The New School
- SCEME/PKSG Workshop

Job Postings for Heterodox Economists

- Queen’s University, Kingston, ON
- The University of Sydney
- National University of Ireland, Galway
- Franklin & Marshall College
- University of Washington Tacoma

Heterodox Conference Papers and Reports and Articles

- The Works of Pierangelo Garegnani
- "Reflections on Theory, Method, and Practice in Comparative and International Education" by Steven Klees
- Macroeconomic Policy Institute Papers
- EFE Papers
- The Limited Promise of Agricultural Trade Liberalization

Heterodox Journals and Newsletters

- On The Horizon
- Review of Social Economy
- Marshall Studies Bulletin (Volume 10, 2008)
- International Review of Applied Economics
- Associative Economics Bulletin
- OIKOS: Revista de Economia Heterodoxa
- Investigacion Economica
- Levy News
- The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought
- Rethinking Marxism
- Cuadernos De Relaciones Laborales

Heterodox Books and Book Series

- Integrity and Agreement: Economics When Principles Also Matter
- Thomas Frank | Follow This Dime
- Solidarity Economy
- Mass Appraisal Methods
- The Keynesian Multiplier
- The Structure of Post-Keynesian Economics
- The Generation of Business Fluctuations
- Microeconomics in Context and Macroeconomics in Context
- Mindful Economics
- International Political Economy: Contrasting World Views
- Edward Elgar Books
- The Genesis of Innovation
- Powerful Finance and Innovation Trends in a High-Risk Economy
- L’innovation pour le développement. Enjeux globaux et opportunités locales
- L'économie Russe depuis 1990
- La Russie Européenne
- La gouvernance de l’innovation

Heterodox Book Reviews

- The Economics of the Great Depression
- The Creation and Destruction of Social Capital
- Keynes and His Battles

The HEN-IRE-FPH Project

- The HEN-IRE-FPH Project for Developing Heterodox Economics and Rethinking the Economy Through Debate and Dialogue

Heterodox Graduate Program and PhD Scholarships

- King's College, London

Heterodox Websites

- Brazilian Keynesian Association
- Palgrave Econolog
- The Economics of Social Ownership
- Research Network on Innovation

For Your Information

- Solidarity Economy: A Short Description
- “Is There an Oil Shortage?"
- William R. Waters Research Grant
- EEA announces the Koford Prize
- URPE Reality Tour: Chinatown
- Economic Policy Institute Cocktail Reception
- Book Recommendations
- Europa Riformista
- Center for Global Justice
- Milton Friedman Institute

-----

To be removed from this mailing list, please send an email message to the address [log in to unmask] asking to be removed from this list. Problems or questions should be directed to [log in to unmask]