Hi,

I am new to this forum, so If I chose the wrong place to post this
message, please redirect me to the right "place in cyberspace", thanks.

My question goes to the idea of changes needed because of the rising
digital preservation. Should everything stay the same or do we need to
change something?

According to my opinion, digital preservation is less then digital
archiving. Digital preservation is done in companies, agencies and
archives. But archives are different since they (in simplified words)
add more to the content - fonds, archival description and other things
that make object useful for the nation and its history.

Now since anything in digital form with retention period of more than 5
years has to be managed with digital preservation techniques,
repositories, systems etc., it causes huge costs, human resources and
knowledge.  And all above mentioned organizations have this situation
and have to implement a digital preservation solution.

Now, here is the question, oriented to the public administration sphere.
Should every agency implement the solution by itself, should more
agencies organize and implement a solution together or use one
outsourcing solution? Should the outsourcing be done by National
Archives for all the public administration organizations?

Should a country or a state implement a digital preservation solution
for all its public organizations in one place (national archives?). One
big repository, where all the documents that should be kept let's say
more than 5 years should be sent and kept there for as long as
necessary. Public organizations would have secure access to this
repository, manage their documents in it, destroy them when necessary
(retention) and Archives would add all the processes that they add in
the whole story?

Is there anything like that in your country. There is nothing yet in
Slovenia but we are very close to it
(http://www.fu.uni-lj.si/iiu/Clanki/200804091147440.paperNispa2008_2-pop
.pdf ).

Regards

Mitja Decman

Univerza v Ljubljani, Fakulteta za upravo

(University of Ljubljana, Faculty of administration)

Slovenija (Slovenia <http://www.slovenia.info/> )

Before printing this message, please make sure it is totally necessary.
Environment matters to all!