> My feeling is that this may have been a seizure which was not
> recognised as such pre-hospital, with a profound post-ictal
> or non-convulsive phase manifesting as a respiratory arrest.
> This certainly explains the gases and rapid recovery.
>

> I can't however link the presenting complaint of dyspnoea and
> cyanosis/hypoxia initially with a subsequent seizure and no
> apparent pulmonary disease.

The cyanosis and hypoxia are due to respiratory arrest during the seizure: common in tonic seizures, less so in atonic but not rare. Dyspnoea is a recognised feature of seizures although not a particularly common one (said to point to right anterior medial temporal lobe) and also an recognised but unusual feature of seizure prodrome. Fyodor Dostoevsky's first recorded fit was reported as starting with dyspnoea (Dostoevsky is generally thought to have had temporal lobe epilepsy with secondary generalised seizures).

Matt Dunn

Did you know South Warwickshire General Hospitals NHS Trust is applying to
become an NHS Foundation Trust?  You can find out more about our application
and/or apply for Membership at
http://www.warwickhospital.nhs.uk/foundationtrust/default.aspx
or by calling our Foundation Trust Office on free phone 0800 085 2471.

This email has been scanned for viruses by NAI GS6, however we are unable to
accept responsibility for any damage caused by the contents.
The opinions expressed in this email represent the views of the sender, not
South Warwickshire General Hospitals NHS Trust unless explicity stated.
The information contained in this email may be subject to public disclosure
under the NHS Code of Openness or the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the
confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.