Hello All.

I have recently had an equid 3rd Phalanx from a mid-late Iron Age context with cut marks on the centre of the sole, where I think a ligament attachment occurs. I am assuming that this is from disarticulating the carcass, but I am idly wondering whether or not it could be from removal of the hooves. Has anyone got any ideas on this or seen any evidence of hoof removal in horses?

As a bit of a tangent from this I am also curious about the glue making process (I confess to knowing nothing about). Could anyone point me in the direction of any literature on the process and which may suggest if glue making could be identified from a zooarchaeological assemblage or would even leave an assemblage behind?

Sorry no pictures at present, but I might be able to sort some out if interested.

Many thanks

Jen